Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Saturday, 25 July 2026

A further tarriance in Hyboria

 The following game represents the opening move of a new campaign set in Robert Howard's Hyboria. The Campaign mechanism and rules will be set out in the next post. As far as the setting is concerned, the situation is as follows; A coup in the Court of Nemedia has replaced the King. The new ruler, Count Ortagines has a deep aversion to Conan, now King of Aquilonia, and sends agents to capture the King's favourite concubine (whose name, typically, is not recorded). Conan, in a blood thirsty rage, leads an army to the Nemedian border...

Map found somewhere on the WWW

The first game is a simple pitch battle, the result of which will lead on to the next. Apologies for the rather dark pictures; it's rather dark this morning!

For the Aquilonian Army I am using a 10mm force that was painted for a different Campaign completely but will suit. The figures are mostly Irregular Minis. Conan is a Mark Copplestone figure.


For Nemedia, I went prospecting in the foothills of the Lead/Plastic Mountain Range and unearthed a few figures and quickly slapped some paint on them; the Nemedians are supported by some Mercenaries. 


The game:

The opposing armies glower at each other and trade insults

The Aquilonian Knights punch a hole in the Nemedian line
Conan faces the Nemedian General, Baron Panatone

The Nemedians suffer further casualties. Conan and the
Baron are in single combat - this can only go one way...

The Baron falls and the day is won

So, Aquilonia wins the first battle and Conan is now on the way to vengeance.

A piece of good news, for me anyway, is that Irregular Miniatures 10mm ranges are being produced again; currently the Fantasy and Medieval ones are available, but I am assured that all the 10mms will be out next year. I hope to make a few Very Small Armies for further Hyborian Escapades in the near future. See HERE for the resurected Irregular Minis.

20 comments:

  1. Nice battle report! Just goes to show you that you can quickly "slap some paint" on a few figures and have a fun game and mini campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Slapping the paint on is the only way I know how!!

      Delete
    2. Your paint jobs are just fine and look good on the table top. Your very small armies have been inspirational to me for my own mini armies.

      Delete
    3. That is very pleasing to read. For me, going for small forces started off as expedience but has turned into a routine practice, mainly to save space!

      Delete
    4. Works well…none of the angst which some gamers subject themselves to, knowing they ‘have’ to paint another 200 figures before they can play a game 🙃.
      Good to see the campaign underway. DotS?

      Delete
    5. Cheers Martin - this was with my very simple Fast Play Portable Wargame rules I called "An Age Undreamed of" (Robert Howard quote) - I may use different rules as I go. Haven't decided yet. More of this anon.

      Delete
  2. Very Interesting. Did you use a.i. for the map and Campaign?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Roger. No the Map is someone's creation I found on the Internet (there are lots of Maps of Hyboria that have been posted over the Years). The Campaign structure, that I'll put on the next post, came out of my own (fevered) imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!
      The reason why asking is I asked ChatGPT for a 1960ies UN campaign in Africa. It made a suggestion for a campaign and a map. The latter I didn't actually ask for in my wargaming request. It seems very complete, but on this present state it doesn't seem logical or playable yet. Time will show...

      Delete
    2. An interesting exercise Roger - I would guess that you'd want to tweak whatever AI comes up with.

      Delete
  4. I suspect Conan is nigh on indestructible. In Howard’s stories he frequently suffers significant injuries, yet always manages to “power through” and win the day.
    Your Conan likewise performed valiantly. Bravo ⚔️⚔️
    I look forward to further news from the battlefields. Conan often seems to have a “lovely wench” in tow 😉
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff. Conan was injured in this battle but being a Fantasy Hero, he survived to fight another day.

      Delete
    2. He very definitely has plot armor! 😁

      Delete
    3. I get the feeling that Conan could take on an Army if he was armed only with a dessert spoon

      Delete
  5. Nice little battle with a historical outcome. Looking forward to reading your campaign and tactical rules information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific fun. The Conan figure is so atmospheric. I’d be interested to hear more of the rules you used in this post…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan!
      The Conan figure came from a set of Mark Copplestone's 10-12mm figures; I can't emphasise enough how much I like these!! https://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/prod.php?prod=193
      Hope to put stuff about the rules and campaign structure in the next post

      Delete
  7. Hello! I discovered your enchanting blog thanks to Alan, the Good Duke of Tragardland. I love how you've shown that great fun can be had with just a few figures a side. Bravo.
    The campaign map is very toothsome, I'd love to know how you drew it or is it from somewhere else?
    Cheers, Micjhael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Micjhael
      Thanks!
      It's a lovely map and sadly not my work - I have merely "borrowed" a bit of it. The whole work can be found here:
      https://www.deviantart.com/sapiento/art/Hyboria-261805653

      Delete