Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Monday, 27 July 2026

Hyboria Ladder Campaign

 


The following is a quick post to confirm how the latest foray into Robert Howard's Continent of Hyboria has been structured.

The winner of the first game, a Pitch Battle, enters the portion of the "Ladder" belonging to the losing side. Assuming the winner defeats their enemy again they move further along the ladder continuing as attacker; if they lose, they are pushed back into their own part of the ladder, or to the previous position, now as defender. The ultimate winner is the side that takes their opponents Major Town, or the side that is deepest into enemy "territory" after, in this case, six battles. I've decided to set a time limit as I fear it may all get stuck at some point, moving backwards and forwards! We'll see...

Having won the Pitch Battle, Conan moves on to the battle for the first step in the Campaign

The rules used to fight the battles will probably vary based on the situation, though Dominion of the Spear and the Portable Wargame are most likely to be used. I hope that explains things a little. The next post hopefully will report the battle for a village, as the Aquilonian Army pushes into Nemedia. 

12 comments:

  1. The ladder concept at least allows you to build a coherent tale around the conflict.
    Of course, Conan himself is seemingly able to overcome huge numbers of the enemy. Many of the individual units in the Aquilonian army are top quality troops - Bossonian archers, Gunderland pikemen and Poitainian knights (but let’s remember, Charles the Bold of Burgundy led his forces to defeat at the hands of the Swiss and their allies).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Geoff. Nemedia is also a "Medieval" Kingdom with its own Chivalric Orders so I haven't over weighted the Aquilonians. The Conan factor may be hard for them to overcome however!

      Delete
  2. Good idea to limit the number of games to avoid an over-long campaign where neither side can make a breakthrough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. Yes, I'm concerned that it may all get stuck somewhere and fizzle out

      Delete
  3. Interesting set up. I'm looking forward to the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - I actually pinched the basic idea from Bob's Long Live the Revolution! mini-campaign in Developing the PW.

      Delete
  4. Ladder looks great . I look forward to seeing the campaign proceed…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. The next battle has now been fought and will be reported soon, I hope!

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to the reports….nice one 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting way to play all sorts of areas in Hyboria. I like that you have set limits on how long a single campaign will last as part of this.
    Looking forward to your reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The turn limit is just so that there's a mechanism for ending the campaign if it gets bogged down!

      Delete