Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Sunday 5 January 2020

Dipping a (metaphorical) toe into Napoleonic Wargames

I've always liked the idea of wargaming the "Napoleonic" period but have been put off by the apparent complexity and scale of the task, and, to be honest, because this is the domain of Historical Wargamers who know how many buttons were on a tunic (and what colour the thread was). Reading Paddy Griffith's book recently got me interested again and Bob Cordery provide a set of rules I felt I could tackle.

PNW

As I don't have sufficient numbers of figures prepared for this game, I'm currently using "Risk" figures; I have enough of these to fight at Brigade level. In PNW, a standard Brigade consists of 3 battalions of Line Infantry, a detachment of Light Infantry, a regiment of cavalry and a battery of artillery, all led by a Brigadier General. The Brigade size and composition could of course vary to some extent. The following pictures demonstrate how my units fit into the different formations required in the game.

Regular Infantry battalions in Line (top), Column (middle) & Square (base)

Cavalry Regiment in Column (left) and Line (right)

Light Infantry in Line (top) and Dispersed (base) formations

A Brigade in full

Having played the Portable Wargame (PW) for some time I already understand the basics of PNW; the latter is, however, a bit more complex and has some differences in mechanics (more on this later). I've played a couple of games and will be reporting them here soon. Suffice it to say, I'm enjoying the game and looking forward to doing a bit more Napoleonic Wargaming! 


20 comments:

  1. No need to be a button-counter to enjoy Napoleonics. You demonstrate that the period can be started on a small scale and with limited forces. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan! The only time I've really tried Napoleonics before was along tome ago with WRG Rules which put me off - I was probably too young!

      Delete
  2. Being a nonhistorian I have always been put off the period due to the seriousness of its players, one feels it improper to act the tit when faced with accusations of wrong uniform/boot/cap combos etc. It's all abit of a mine field to be honest. I hope the simpler rules will provide a 'work around for this and allow the 'it'll do' crowd ( of which I am a proud member) to come at it from a suitably abstract angle. Be interested to know how you go with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of a learning curve but Bob's rules are clear and he publishes example games with them which helps. My reports should show me bungling through!

      Delete
  3. Oh, using the Risk figures is a great idea! Agree with Sprinks, Napoleonic wargame is often too seriously taken, we always must remember that it is a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philotep - Various gamers (like Wargame Hermit) have used Risk figures and they're really quite nice. See here for example: https://wargamehermit.blogspot.com/2018/06/wargaming-with-old-risk-figures.html

      Delete
  4. There is no such thing as the 'correct uniform' or 'correct colours' except insofar as they are 'regulation'. Die batches vary, buttons fall off, as uniforms fall to pieces with wear, soldiers will mend, darn and make do.

    There is another point, too, that button-counters seem to overlook. The small scale figures - 28mm and smaller - tend to make colours (other than white or yellow) look darker. I discovered this painting WW2 British. I have found that a good two shades paler than the 'correct' colour of khaki looks 'righter' than the 'proper colour.

    It was D. of W. who remarked upon the sartorial splendour of his army: so long as they weren't wearing enemy uniform, he didn't much care what they looked like. Was it not the same duke who observed that the fate of battles depended upon 'that article'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I forgot to mention. Suppose you have a small female relative - daughter, niece, granddaughter - for whom you are building an army. You ask what colour uniform. She says 'pink'. Make them Napoleonic British, then. The red dye is not at all colour fast. You won't be far wrong (and it doesn't look bad, neither).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent summary.
    Roll on Waterloo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waterloo? Might leave that to Benny & Bjorn!
      Cheers Duc.

      Delete
  7. Heck, I've studied the Napoleonic period for 40 years (ouch) and still don't know the color of button lace. If a member of the "Button Brigade" is involved in my game and wants to know exactly why I painted only 3 buttons on a coat instead of 4, because EVERYONE knows it should be 4, I advise him the men of that unit have become so demoralized by their commander's dissatisfaction that they have fled to the rear; he will not have that unit available for the battle because they just marched back into the box. Oddly enough, Mr. "Gotcha" suddenly becomes much more accepting of my paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One must pick one's gaming friends and opponents even more carefully than one picks periods!

    Handing having the risk figures in different colours! Good to go and a bit kriegspielish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross. I'm afraid in my youth I was somewhat demoralized by "bigger boys"! I'm old enough and bald enough not to care anymore. I do like these little figures; they give the battle a board-game quality, a bit like the old "Campaign" game (Waddingtons?)

      Delete
  9. My first wargames interest was Napoleonic but my "Risk" set used wooden blocks!
    Inspirational use of the 'modern' risk figures (aren't they just the old Airfix Napoleonics ?) and probably the only way to have large battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had sort of plastic stars in my Risk set - these are more recent ones I bought on Ebay - they're quite nice little figures. I think there were some around that had Tricorn hats, and of course there are some Medieval ones now and Lord of the Rings figures - Bob Cordery has used the LotR ones to demonstrate the Ancients Portable War Game.

      Delete
  10. Thanks, this is a great idea, I have Bob's rules and I have 'Risk' with those figures ( £3 from a charity shop ), but had not put two and two together, so to speak. So, many thanks for posting! No fear of button-counting here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. As explained above, using the Risk pieces is something I've picked up from other blogs (so I'm not going to take credit for it!!) It's a good way of trying out some rules before investing in figures, though to be honest, at Brigade level the rules don't require a very large number.

      Delete