Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Sunday 2 August 2020

Opening moves in the Red/Blue Campaign

War has been declared and the first moves take place.


Redina and Bluvia both send forces rushing towards the left hand bridge. For the first game I decided to play a scenario I first read over forty years ago but have never tried; Tabletop Teaser No. 1 by C S Grant, The Bridge Demolition (featured in Battle Magazine Feb 1978).

Bluvia's brigade, arriving first with an Engineers Company set about destroying the crossing.
I gave them 6 turns to set the charge, from when the Engineers got established at the bridge. When the charges were set, and the Blue Commander gave the order, a die roll would decide the outcome as detailed in the Teaser.

The blue defenders await the enemy

Early skirmishing - the Blue C-in-C leads from the front

A cavalry melee

The Engineers get to work

Red's troops arriving piecemeal 

Hussars on the left do not hold back in the race against time

By Turn 4 Red's whole force is on the field



Bluvian forces are being pushed back

A Blue Infantry battalion has been destroyed and The blue Guards are now engaged

The Engineers have completed their work and the Blue C-in-C falls back

The remaining Blue units are unable to extricate themselves - the order is given to blow the bridge

The Bluvian Commander crosses his fingers, and 6! The bridge is destroyed

Once again FX have let me down, but you get the idea

Regrettably, the Bluvian Commander was forced to leave two units of his troops on the enemy's side of the river (having reached Exhaustion Point) but was able to destroy one of the three crossing points. Attention will now turn to the Centre Bridge.

25 comments:

  1. A cracking game MJT, if the bridge hadn't blown the Bluvians would be in trouble. However looking at the strategic map the middle bridge may be captured by the Reds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul, and you're quite right, (Spoiler Alert) the Red Force is already riding over the centre bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not recommend blowing a bridge and isolating your troops on the enemy held side of the river. Sacrifices must be made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least these decisions leave no lead/plastic widows or orphans.

      Delete
    2. How true! I'm so glad I don't have to make such decisions for real.

      Delete
  4. Now that's how you begin a campaign with a bang!.... Sorry, I'll get me coat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one Mr Sprinks! Are you still looking for 6mm figures cos I've found some more..

      Delete
    2. Ooohhh could be interested, I will email forthwith.

      Delete
  5. Hi Maudlin- You have some great Soldiers there - I can spot AIRFIX- Union Troops and possibly some British Guards. Great to see there is a home for these Vintage figures. Cheers. KEV. (Sydney-Australia).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kev. This Campaign was in part an excuse to get some of the older Airfix figures into action!

      Delete
  6. A great and desperate actionand whilst not having any common interest in the sides, I was rooting for the Blues from the waord go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. Blue defending with a smaller force makes them underdog!

      Delete
  7. I the look of your table! This is possibly my favorite scenario - I played it quite a bit earlier this year. Did you use the reinforcement arrivals per Grant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that should say "i love the look of your table!"

      Delete
    2. Cheers John - it's a great scenario. I let Red's attacking force build up more slowly but there were no other reinforcements. I used the optional die roll to gauge the effect of the demolition, which Grant dryly describes as "For those whose appetite for excitement is still undiminished"!

      Delete
  8. Very nice looking game!
    I think C S Forester’s “DeathTo The French” was about soldiers trapped on the wrong side of the river.
    Nice to see glossy figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. I've returned to a gloss varnish after many years! I don't know the book but will look it up.

      Delete
  9. I like the way you have used the Sham Battle battle map for a campaign map. I will never look at a battle map the same. Using different time period figures also adds to the enjoyment of you campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I liked the simple battlefield map in Sham Battle and thought that if you have a large table or floor space to play a game, then 6 towns on a battlefield at once is possible, but on my 2 foot by 2 foot board it might be a bit crowded for 1/72nd figures!

      Delete
  10. Excellent...!

    PS. Fill your boots with this one and the rest of the Tabletop Teasers here ==> https://steve-the-wargamer.blogspot.com/p/word-document-jpgs-of-original-article.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah.. thanks to Charles for allowing me to post them... :o)

      Delete
    2. Nah.. thanks to Charles for allowing me to post them... :o)

      Delete
    3. Pass on my thanks then! MUCH appreciated.

      Delete