Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Saturday 23 January 2021

Lazy Saturday Afternoon

 After a beautiful morning walk under a very blue sky, your humble author has had a lazy afternoon watching the snow filled clouds roll in. No battles have been fought, however, as a wise man said, "A little exercise on the parade square is the next best thing to a game."

  

General Chatter oversees the Parade.



The band leading the Airfix Guardsmen are actually some late 1960s Hong Kong "replicas". Hugh Walter discusses them in detail HERE so I won't say more than I rather like them. They remind me of the sort of bright plastic things that a child might have received from a Department Store Father Christmas (Santa Claus) back in the 60s, Though cheap and tacky they were probably played with a great deal more than the more expensive stuff! 
There will hopefully be more of these chaps on parade in the future as Army Blue want a band as well now.
As always, please excuse the terrible painting/photography.


Stay safe everyone!

21 comments:

  1. I remember having the Airfix Guards Band and a packet of those Hong Kong ripoffs. When I found out that they weren’t combat uniforms I swapped them for some Airfix ACW infantry. My mum wasn’t happy 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mums did get about swaps back in the day!!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, meant to say "Mums did get a bit upset about swaps" but Blogger ate my words

      Delete
  2. Always a joy to see. I used to look at Featherstones ACW bands made by head swaps and I would think 'one day'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you're saying! Sadly now I don't want to sacrifice either the ACW figures or Bandsmen!

      Delete
  3. If you need more bandsmen, I believe I have some that are buried somewhere which will never be used. By the way, they're Airfix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or you may have sent them to me a few years ago.....

      Delete
    2. I think I found another box worth during the start of the basement clean. Now I will have to do a search to make sure I didn't make a promise I can't keep!

      Delete
    3. John, Yes please if they didn't already go to Ross!

      Delete
    4. I have found the box of bandsmen. If you have my email address, you can forward me your address and I will get them to you.

      Delete
    5. Many thanks John - I've emailed you

      Delete
  4. Very nostalgic post, for me at least, I had several boxes of Airfix guardsmen that appeared on many a battlefield in units of 24. I never did manage to get the box of bandsmen, much to my disappointment. Its good to see that they are atill available on one form or another.
    Yours look great btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe - I wonder how many units of Airfix Guards are still active?

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful parade! I have to confess, if I had received band figures as a child I would have been very confused, but as an adult I think they look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Airfix did have a few interesting non-combat sets of course as they were really aimed at children rather than grown-up children!

      Delete
  6. Your parade looks very nice. I never had Airfix soldiers like these, but recently found some tin soldiers with musical instruments dressed up in similar uniforms which my parents bought in a second hand shop in England in the 80s. Soldiers in parade uniforms are a very interesting subject for wargaming I think ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl. I'd be interested to see the tin soldiers if you have a chance to photograph them and show them on your blog.

      Delete
  7. Great to see these on parade. A set that is rarely painted, I'd warrant as people have focussed on those more suited for combat?!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete