Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Monday 25 October 2021

The Battle for Two Hills Farm

Back in February of this year, Bob posted a scenario for The Portable Wargame (see HERE) that I've played a couple of times, though not reported. Here's another attempt.

A quick apology for being absent without comments; I have been reading many splendid blog posts but have been suffering from 2021 and found it hard to get my words together!

 In my game Army Grey is led by General Moturez and Army Blue by General Fiasco. Otherwise the Order of Battle is as Bob describes. The Elite unit on each side is marked with a token (Tiddlywink). I surmised that both sides would sent their cavalry on first to scout ahead - after that a unit arrives on each turn 2-6 in a random order.

The Battlefield

Blue and Grey Horse spot each other 

Both forces are arriving and the battle is underway

Grey holds the objective. General Fiasco leads the Elite Blue Guard South looking to punch through the enemy line at its furthest point

Disaster!! General Fiasco falls and Army Blue reaches Exhaustion Point

Two turns later, and Grey has also reached EP but still holds the objective.

This is a well balanced scenario that could swing either way and would make a nice starting point to a Mini-Campaign. 

21 comments:

  1. You have been away a long time. Hope this posts suggests a return toward normalcy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone in starting to struggle a bit in 2021!

    A nice little game, nothing like a bit of Airfix to brighten a day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ross - a few of the Canadian reserves are in there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting through this year has been a bit struggle for a lot of us. I’ve been having a bit of trouble getting things done for the last couple of months, but have learned to do things when I feel up to it, and not to push myself when I don’t,. Things may be taking me longer to get done than they did last year, but they are getting done … eventually.

    Take your time, and your mojo will eventually return.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention that I’m very pleased that you’ve enjoyed my scenario, and I look forward to reading more in the near future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob for both comments. I hope to get back to actually playing more games rather than just thinking about playing games!

      Delete
  6. Your return to blogging is much appreciated - thanks for the post 👍🏼👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a simple yet well worked scenario and probably worth a replay too !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you back with a blog post about the Portable Wargame. I was afraid that something bad might have happened to you ...

    All the best,
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl! Nothing too bad, just more of the usual. I hope you and your family are well.

      Delete
    2. We are fine. Thank you. I found the beginning of the year very stressful and the summer rather relaxed. I hope the winter will not be too bad this year ...

      Your game looks beautiful and very inspiring as always.

      Cheers,
      Karl

      Delete
  9. Lovely to see you back and those Airfix figures in action again. As everyone has said, 2021 has been a very odd mojo year for us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - as Ross said, Airfix figures do brighten a day.

      Delete
  10. Another cracker of a game sir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back, we missed you! Hopefully the game and the blog, and the positive response, has helped your mood. It's funny how especially the last couple of months has seemed hard going, I think we are all rather tired now after 18 months of 'stuff'.
    Anyway, great to see the Airfix ACWs in action again, and I do like your 'minimalist' approach. What's the next game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Hopefully the next game will be set in my Colonial Imagination

      Delete
    2. The Minimalist approach is really down to looking at pictures of Joseph Morschauser's gridded games which have always inspired me.

      Delete