Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Saturday 15 July 2023

Jeux avec frontieres

 Having been very impressed with Kaptain Kobold's Its a (HoTT) Knockout tournament, I thought I'd give the format a go using The Portable Wargame Fantasy rules and five of my very small armies (10mm).

I am using a random army generator based on the system in One Hour Wargames. The terrain is determined by the territory being attacked; Goblins hilly, Men mainly flat, Elves wooded, Dwarves & Orcs very hilly.

Starting off with a Map and a handful of D6s, this is how things have gone to date...


Season One:

Orcs attack Elves
The Elves, using the cover of the woods, repulsed the Orcs, forcing them to Exhaustion (50% SP) and then cutting them down. A convincing Elf victory.


Season Two:

Dwarves attack Goblins
After a promising start, with Dwarf cavalry getting to the rear of the Goblin lines, the Dwarves were slowly reduced to EP (on the same turn as their foe). On count back the Dwarves had suffered greater losses and the defenders prevailed.

Season Three:
 
Men attack Elves
The Wild Men arrived without Archers but made an aggressive start attacking the Elves in the woods, initially with some success. This didn’t last however, and they were brought to Exhaustion Point and then destroyed, almost completely. Another Elf victory.

Season Four:

Dwarves attack Goblins (again)
The Dwarves, still smarting from their early defeat, attacked the Goblins again. The two armies met on a dark and stormy morning in the Valley of Skullz and this time the Dwarves prevailed, annihilating their old foe. (Finally a decisive battle!)

  The Map now looks like this


This format is certainly a great way to get boots on the board! On to Season 5...


11 comments:

  1. Très bon titre :D I used to be a fan of "Jeux sans frontières", a TV entertainment during the 80s. Your system looks efficient - at least for the dwarves !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, my previous comment was anonymous, now you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Philotep! C'etait une tres bonnes emission tv

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to see how this campaign plays out. I have been looking at different campaign rules to inspire my wargames. As usual, the more I look, the more complicated the rules becomes and distracts me from my orginial goals. I must go back to KISS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a nice simple format suitable for players with little gaming time (plus procrastinators like me)

      Delete
  4. Great post, MJT 🙂👍🏼. And good to see the beginnings of some world conquest after a few battles. Following with interest ✔️🧌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin - I was getting a little concerned that the whole thing would grind to a halt due to the Attackers constantly failing!

      Delete
  5. A fine concept: more than a campaign, but a whole war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I play solo of course but I'd imagine this would work well for groups.

      Delete
  6. Looks like an interesting campaign. I really like this concept as well and am using it for my Three Kingdoms imagi-nations campaign. I looking forward to seeing who is the last one standing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mark! Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to know which side conquers all

    ReplyDelete