Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Thursday 17 August 2017

The Portable Fantasy Wargame

Encouraged by the kind words of Bob Cordery here are my thoughts to date on a Fantasy variant of his Portable Wargame - Ancients. These are rough and untried and have been written for play with some 10mm Fantasy figures I have (play test to follow!) at Army level rather than the skirmish of the previous post, but the values in the table below will allow either level of play I think.

A few explanatory notes/clarifications:

My personal taste leans towards Tolkien so these rules do not (yet) include Spells in combat.
I strongly believe that "rules" for games are a personal thing and are not "Laws", and encourage anyone who wants to use them to adapt to suit their own view of Fantasy Gaming. Those with Warhammer type figures (or any others) can obviously just adapt the rules to fit those types.
Human types are covered by Bob's rules but again one might write specific rules for specific types/races.

Draft Rules (require Bob Cordery's Developing the Portable Wargame)

 



Woods
All units reduce movement to 1 grid except Elf units that reduce their move by 1 grid; Ents move at normal speed
Elf units and Ents need not stop immediately on entering woods

Range of elf archers is reduced to 2 grids in woods 
Giants/Ents may throw boulders if in landscape containing them - behave like artillery.
Rivers
Giants and Ents are not slowed by rivers.

Orc "Cavalry" are Orcs mounted on wolves hence the bonus in melee.

8 comments:

  1. Ok i may have to get hold of this ruleset!. Nice ideas Jack, and i know what you mean about fantasy gaming, you can only give ideas for othets to smoosh up to fit their own ends!. Looking forward to the playtest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have our own ideas, especially in Fantasy wargames. At competition level I think that it's important to have fixed rules (and umpires!) of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the look of this variant. Larger creatures 'chucking' rocks is pretty inspired.
    For some reason elves moving across diagonals when no one else can struck me as a 'trait', but maybe too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diagonal movement is being discussed on other blogs (eg http://archdukepiccolo.blogspot.ie/) for gridded games though I haven't got my head around it yet. Pesky Elves moving diagonally might well suit their otherworldly natures!

      Delete
  4. Most interesting !
    Btw can you pop up a follower thingie on your blog to help me follow you?Ta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tradgardmastare
    I think I've added one! Please advise if it's not what you expected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arthur Harman has sent me the draft of an article about his Fantasy version of my PW rules that he is sending to Miniature Wargames magazine. If you'd like a copy, please contact me by email.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob

    Thanks, I've emailed you today.

    ReplyDelete