Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Sunday 5 July 2020

The Impecunious (One Hour) Wargamer

At the risk of sounding like Neil from The Young Ones, and bringing my reader down, I'm just briefly going to talk about how I did/do/will do(?) Wargames on the cheap, when the need arouse. 
Neil Pye (not Neil Thomas)

Back in the last recession (to distinguish it from, I'm sorry to say, the one that's just starting) I had to work away from home so had no access to my Wargaming stuff. To while away the evenings I started making paper board games and pushing cardboard armies around on them. Then in 2014 (I think) I picked up a copy of One Hour Wargames and started making A4 gridded versions of the scenarios (space was limited!). The games were played using gridded versions of the published rules, numbered plastic counters (tiddlywinks) and then later with 2mm blocks from Irregular Miniatures. These little games were a really sanity-saver and were obviously very inexpensive to set up. 
A Paper battlefield with 2mm blocks

After the 2mm blocks, I purchased some very small 10mm armies. They were still inexpensive but looked a bit more like wargame figures. To keep the cost down I used 2 Infantry figures or 1 cavalry figure to represent a unit. Not to everyone's taste, but needs must!
In recent years I've been splashing out money on 28mm figures etc but I'm still very attached to my cheap little 10mm fellows and they get the occasional game. This weekend I've been using them to tweak my Fantasy variant of the Portable Wargame and have fought (a couple of times) the next Scenario in One Hour Wargames (see HERE).

An Elf "Army"

Stay healthy and safe!

17 comments:

  1. That's a good idea, I can see how 'OHW' would work well, those scenario maps are ideal for grids and counters.
    For another perspective though, see today's post from 'Epictetus - Discources on Wargaming' - the Perry Twins in 'The Economist', no less..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David - The Pandemic has certainly led to a rise in Wargames purchasing as people were unable to spend their money on transport, eating out etc. Ian Kay at Irregular tells me that they have been doing loads of business!

      Delete
  2. Very good idea. Necessity is the mother of invention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its amazing how little you need to spend to get a game on the table. When I took my first steps back into the hobby it was with a dining table, hand drawn paper cut out units and terrain, dice swiped from several board games and on line rules. It cost the price of a few sheets of paper and a few pens.
    As you know I'm a big fan of 2mm minis and at smaller scales (under 15mm) it's very easy to buy a whole army for less than £25.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mr Sprinks - I know your thrifty methods!!

      Delete
  4. I remember as a tad using the back of a Subbuteo (table football) pitch and carefully cut out pieces of cardboard to refight Kursk. Squares to represent 1000 men, and triangles for artillery. The tanks were painstakingly made for layers of cereal packet material and all was coloured with felt tips. Can’t remember if I actually played, but the your project reminded of the make do and mend we rarely see anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steve - The back of the Subbuteo pitch was one of my old wargames battlefields until I loaned it to someone and never got it back!

      Delete
    2. My football loving brother was probably sick as a parrot. I think he took the set with him when he left home!

      Delete
  5. Interesting to read about your figures. Irregular Miniatures do a great service and I am pleased they are doing really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked Ian at Irregular how they were doing during the lockdown and he said they were flat-out which was good news. They still managed to get my little order processed overnight!

      Delete
  6. I'm all for being thrifty when it comes to gaming, especially as I'm not hat bothered about showing my efforts to others - I'm all for an enjoyable game. eye candy is nice but gming is what it's all about.
    Over the years I've seen armies made from screws, fruit stones, hair rollers and probably a ot of other things I've forgotten. I too have had cardboard armies for large scale Napoleonics and standee type too.
    If the game is good then it's OK by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe - I have to say if the game's fun I'm not too bothered what the pieces are made of.

      Delete
  7. Your 10mm elf army looks wonderful. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl - there's a few more figures painted now. I'll post another picture of the full army over the weekend!

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to a picture of the whole army. I love the simplicity of your approch, the way you represent units.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Karl, I'll pull something together.

      Delete