Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Monday 31 January 2022

Fast Play Lunchtime Wargame

So keen was I to try out another Fast Play Portable Wargame, having had the Reserve Area kindly explained to me by Mark Cordone, that I played a game over lunch today.

A short wargame and Mushroom Soup

The objective was to hold the village at the end of the battle (set as the end of Turn 6). The only difference from the Rules, as posted by Bob Cordery HERE, was that I gave all Infantry units 3SP (other arms remained at 2SP), and both sides were Attacking so neither rolled for scenery location.

The game took approximately 25 minutes and was a tense bloody affair! Army Green's General won the first inititive throw and took the village which was held for 4 turns, then lost, then regained on the final turn but only by exposing his flank to fire!  The Dice were, for once, on side, and the casualties mounted up. 

Green Wins

Good fun and definitely getting me back into the gaming groove. 


20 comments:

  1. I love the look of your game! I have a bunch of Risk pieces lying around - I had thought to paint them, but there is something appealing about them in their natural state. Congrats on getting back into the groove!

    p.s. the bowl of soup illustrates what a 3x3 game allows : a quick game in a small space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. It's like playing a little boardgame only I get a bit more involved with figures (even unpainted ones) than with the flat pieces from a traditional boardgame.

      Delete
  2. A great little battle report!

    I like the idea of giving some unit higher SPs than others.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. It felt right to make Line Infantry units a bit stronger.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it worked for you! Can't ask more than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the catalyst I needed! A little bit more free time would be nice but I can't complain about having lots of work

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great way to squeeze in a game. I may have to give these rules s look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the variable SPs - and the fact that you can fit a quick game in - which can subsequently influence the overall campaign. Strong narrative play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sir Duc. Got to squeeze the fun in where I can find it at the moment - very busy down here!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a fun game. Interesting idea to add a strength point to infantry. Lengthens the game a little, but gives them more staying power compared to the other arms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With yesterdays very aggressive dice rolls the game was still fast, but yes the extra SP for Infantry would slow things a little. It felt right though for Horse and Musket. Despite the small size and fast play I got quite caught up in the action which to me is the sign of a good game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Tradgardmastare - I'm hoping 2022 will continue to see more Hobby time

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the report…looks like a fast, fun and supremely hectic game. This 3x3 game is certainly taking off. Must give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a big fan of grid games, and the Portable Wargame in particular, this fast Play version works for me. I recommend giving it a go Martin

      Delete
  10. A far better aar than I;d anticipated and I can see this being very useful add to larger game campaing turns here very small forces clash. The only addition I could think of would be to use magnetic bases , making the whole thing truly portable !

    ReplyDelete
  11. A magnetic board would be a very nice option for a truly Portable (or "Travel") version Joe, or maybe a peg-board...

    ReplyDelete