Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Saturday 29 January 2022

Fast Play Horse & Musket Portable Wargame: First try

 The 3x3 Fast Play Portable Wargame was almost designed for folk like me, limited on space and hobby time as I am. Not being a Facebook (or is that Meta?) user I have not been able to look at the work of Mark Cordone, however Bob has kindly produced a set of rules HERE which I've tried today. John Y's WW2 write up has also encouraged me to give them a go (see his post HERE).

The Field of Battle (6 square inches)

My first impressions are very positive, though I'm not entirely sure yet about use of the Reserve Area. Strangely I quickly forgot how tiny the whole thing was and got involved in the action. It took four turns for the defenders (Green) to get to Yellow's baseline which was set as a victory condition. 


More games of 3x3 FPPW will be played in the near future I think. 

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun game! I fought the first battle of my Snakes & Ladders mini-campaign today, and really enjoyed it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keen to play more - I really like the rule allowing two units in a square, one providing supporting fire. I'm looking forward to seeing your games as I'm not too sure how to use the Reserve Area yet.

      Delete
  2. Now that's how you maximize space!. Nice looking game sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mr Sprinks - compact and highly portable!

      Delete
  3. The thing is taking off, ain't it though! Great looking set-up - functional and engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Archduke - I'm going for a minimal approach!

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it. Units in the reserve area may move into any of that sides baseline squares at a cost of one movement point when activated. If that square is occupied by the enemy they may attack it in a desperate attempt to eliminate or push back the enemy unit and save the day. Hope this clarifies things. I'm looking forward to your future games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark. Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to fire artillery into and out of the Reserve Area?

      Delete
    2. No, the reserve area represents off board, uncommitted assets. Units on the baseline can retreat into the reserve area though.

      Delete
    3. Ok that makes sense, thanks Mark.

      Delete
  5. An intersting experiment, but I wonder if it has any real potential for long term use. I'll await with interest for future developments of this idea and its uses.
    Good to see you blogging again btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Joe. This Fast Play version really works where one only has a small window of opportunity for a wargame.

    ReplyDelete