Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Monday 24 January 2022

Update January 2022

The first posting of 2022, and January's nearly over! Well there's really very little to report hobby-wise. 


Due to on-going shortages of both time and space for hobby related matters, I've started running a very simple, digitally based Horse and Musket Mini-Campaign, inspired by RISK. The Campaign map looks like a simple board game design with no topography to deal with, and any battles will be resolved using the Portable Wargame rules and my RISK armies. These games can be quickly set up and fought and dismantled in small spaces. Not to everyones taste but I enjoy them!

It's the Spring of 1845, and Rubiria has invaded the Northern region of Amethysia...



Rubiria's Advance Guard from Army 2 quickly despatches the border guards

In other news, I've been slowly working on a more formal version of my In-House Fantasy Variant of the Portable Wargame; it's even got a working title now! 


An Elf Magic-User summons an Ent


They still need a bit of tweaking and some play-testing which, at the current rate, may take some time...
That's all for now. Hopefully there will be more to say next month.

24 comments:

  1. Great to have you back. The campaign sounds most interesting and I look forward to hearing more of Swords , Sorcery and Squares. Terrific name btw. In the final picture what make are the figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The Elf is by Pendraken (10mm fantasy range) and the Ent & trees are from Irregular (6mm fantasy range).

      Delete
  2. Excellent. Actually, I looked at the map and first thought 'block Hyboria', before reading the text. ...and then you mentioned your fantasy rules with squares, and I thought hmmm ...now there's a Conan campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. You're right, the map has that colourful look of the Marvel Hyboria map!

      Delete
  3. Nice idea for the campaign sir, hopefully many legendary actions await. The fantasy rules sound interesting. If you need a hand with play testing I'm happy to volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the regional map used for the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I played a lot of RISK in my younger days and liked the simple map of the world.

      Delete
  5. I would be very happy to play test too. My Mythical Earth fellows would relish such an opportunity…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tidy the text up this week and hopefully get a pdf together for the weekend. There's an email address for me in the Account details for Blogger so if you could email me there I can reply =)

      Delete
  6. I love that simple RISK-based campaign map and use of RISK figures for your armies. They should give you lots of fun and enjoyment.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. The RISK figures work for me, half way between a boardgame and a wargame.

      Delete
  7. That is a great map. I had started work on a map similar to yours, that I was going to use for a campaign using my recently purchased semi flat armies. I had put it aside; perhaps it's time to get back to work on it. Also looking forward to your rules.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks John. Your semi-flats definitely deserve a Campaign setting. I'm trying to do a super simple one with the RISK figures to avoid getting too bogged down in detail. In the next post I hope to explain it a bit more - it's started but still evolving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As long as you're still ticking and having some fun, its all good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still much more activity than on my side of the wargaming world... I only painted 3 figures this month (in a 2 hours session), and no game at all...
    But if you can show us more in February, I will follow your posts with pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philotep. Sometimes it's so difficult to get motivated, especially in the Winter

      Delete
  11. I'm looking forward to Swords, Sorcery & Squares. Sounds very interesting. Cheers, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl - more to follow on this...

      Delete
    2. By the way, I also like the colourful names of your map a lot.

      Delete
    3. Thanks again Karl, I went for colours again as you noted!

      Delete
  12. Very excited to see more of Swords, Sorcery and Squares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Playtesters are working away at it I'm sure!
      Hopefully I'll get a game in soon as well. I've been caught up with the Fast Play PW recently - another distraction...

      Delete