Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Monday 21 February 2022

Sacred Place Scenario Re-Do

Yesterday I re-played the Sacred Place Scenario with a smaller defending army. Here's the Scenario briefing written in the style of Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames Scenarios.


The smaller Elf Army is at the bottom of the picture (and for those of you watching in Black & White, the Elves are dressed in green).



Once again an Ent was summoned from the forest and the Orc Army queued up at the bridge


The Troll has pushed across the bridge


This time the Orcs have made it onto the hill


Only to be repulsed 


The Elf Army resists the attack once again


Casualties are high on both sides (Exhaustion Point is set at 50% for my Fantasy games) but the Orcs waver and flee the field leaving the Sacred Place undefiled. 

The game was definitely improved for having a smaller defending side and at some stage I intend to try it again with a different configuration for the attackers. Thanks for the interest in the rules; I am doing a bit of a re-work on them at present after receiving despatches from Tradgardland! 





9 comments:

  1. Another entertaining and inspiring report. I find a river crossing with only one crossing tends a bottleneck that just turns into a slogging match. I keep on wanting to give the Portable Wargame another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. Yes a bridgehead is never going to be a fluid kind of game! I was wondering if the presence of magic and possibly creatures that could wade across the river might change matters...

      Delete
  2. A great scenario that deserved a second play. The bottleneck effect is inevitable but giving the attackers a chance each turn to find a hidden ford could make it a bit more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! The second try was definitely more frantic once the Orcs started attacking the hill, and it was a bit of fun, which is what it's all about!

      Delete
  3. Another great report. I like the board…was it originally a chess board, repainted, or ‘from scratch’?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. The board is a 12 inch square piece of 6mm thick MDF - I just marked out an 8x8 grid and painted. (I'm not good at straight lines so it's a bit wobbly in places!). I saw a multi-colour painted board featured on one of Bob's posts and liked the idea.

      Delete
    2. Might have been my cardbkard chess board, which was torn by removal of masking tape roads, and subsequently painted in to cover the damage.
      Yours looks very attractive.

      Delete
    3. (Checks notes..) I do believe it was your chessboard!! I'd forgotten who had made it - I can congratulate you in person; great idea Martin.

      Delete
    4. Not so much an idea, as salvaging from the wreckage…🙃

      Delete