Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Saturday 19 February 2022

A Sacred Place - Play testing a scenario

 The following is the first play test of a scenario for my Fantasy Variant of The Portable Wargame (Swords, Sorcery and Squares). 

The idea is that one side must defend a location from a numerically larger opposition, who are themselves hampered by having to first take a river crossing.

For speed I used my little 10mm units, Elves defending a Standing Stone from the attacking Orc army.


The Orcs send their Troll to capture the crossing while the Elves move their Archers into position covering the river bank.

The Elf Guards stubbornly hold the bridge for some time while Orc and Elf archers exchange fire across the river.

 

The Elf Magic-User calls an Ent from the nearby forest who is able to wade across the river and attack the Orcs.


The Orcs are forced to draw a Chance Card!


The Troll finally makes it over the bridge but is surrounded and taking hits - orcs are queuing up behind to cross.



The Ent has wandered back into the forest leaving the Elf archers to mop up the remaining Orcs on the river bank.


The Troll's last stand - The Orc General finally makes it onto the bridge in time to reach his Army's Exhaustion Point


The Play Test has shown that the defending side needs to be smaller still and possibly there should be another crossing point! The Orc General is looking for a Giant to join his cause (like Ents, Giants can wade rivers!).




20 comments:

  1. Great report…..and makes me want to get my Fantasy figures out. ⚔️⚔️👍🏼👍🏼
    Q. Is the ‘Fantasy Variant of The Portable Wargame (Swords, Sorcery and Squares)’ available for a look at/try through? (Played a Portable wargame Sudan game today…great fun😊)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. A copy of the rules are currently with Bob Cordery with a view to their appearing in his first Portable Wargame Compendium!
      As a lot of the text is from the Ancients variant of the PW (in Developing the Portable Wargame) and is Copyright I don't want to send a complete version just now, however if you email me at maudlinjacktar(AT sign)outlook(DOT)com I could send you some of my additions for comments.
      Like all Fantasy games it's really just ideas that each person can expand/alter to fit their own opinions.

      Delete
    2. Thanks ….appreciated. 👍🏼
      Awaiting developments in Amethysia with interest, too.

      Delete
    3. Yes my mind will flutter back their soon!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I’m looking into Khurasan’s GOR figures, or splintered light’s Pig-faced orcs. I can’t wait to play SS&S myself, do you think you’ll post it or sell it once it’s finished? I’ll budget haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Khurasan's figures are beautiful - how did someone paint 15mm figs that well??? Regarding the rules, please see above!

      Delete
  3. Would love to try your variant rules too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ref, please see my reply to Martin! They were written around the figures I had but could easily be expanded or changed to suit a players own collection

      Delete
  4. Test games can be quite fun even though they turnout not to be that balanced. Your 10mm figures look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes it was quite fun and I'm keen to run it again with an amended set up.

      Delete
  5. Love the cards, and the nice compact footprint. Are you planning to adapt your rules for 3x3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Yes I've thought about a Fantasy FPPW, however at the moment I'm keen to pursue the Skirmish idea for the 3x3 board which I think has a lot going for it.

      Delete
  6. Great game, lovely board and figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your set-up looked great and it both looked like a fantasy game and also the aar 'sounded' like a fantasy game - and very enjoyable it was too.
    Who needs thousands of figuers to put on a great game ?
    The rules seem to work extemely well and your additions/ammendments work with them flawlessly - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Typical elves, spoiling another orc warbands fun!. Lovely looking game Jack,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got "The Portable Wargame Compendium" and I'm really excited to see your fantasy rules in it. Hope to try these soon. All the best, Karl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karl
      I hope you enjoy them. If you have any comments / thoughts on the rules you can also email me at maudlinjacktarAToutlookDOTcom.

      Delete