Advisory Note

Please Note: This blog contains poorly painted toy soldiers that may offend those of an aesthetically sensitive disposition.

Sunday 12 June 2022

Of Wights and Wraiths

 No games to record I'm afraid, though a little purchasing has been afoot. 

I'm very happy to report that I made a small purchase from Broadsword Miniatures and very nice figures they are too. By the time that Hinchliffe released the fantasy range that Mike McGuinness has resurrected (1980), I had stopped Wargaming (having discovered beer and girls). Consequently these are new to me and the "new toys" level of excitement is up at 11 of 10.

I've even painted one of them already! (Apologies for the brush work) - only a couple of colours necessary...

FA28 Follower of Evil (Wraith)

And here he (it?) is in comparison with the Minifigs Barrow Wight (ME42) and Ghoul (SS38) from the 1970s.



 Hopefully more to report in the near future.


12 comments:

  1. Hadn’t realised you used 25mm as well as your 10mm fantasy, MJT. The Broadsword site has some lovely old figures 👍🏼
    Good to see you back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm afraid to say that I have Fantasy figures in 28mm, 25mm, 10mm and a few in 6mm!

      Delete
  2. Veritable scale-agnostic magpie, sir! (My fantasy stuff is pretty much all 15mm, with an occasional 25mm biggie [monster types] and a few halflings made from Kallkstra 10-12mm to go with the 15mm bunch).
    There’s some great stuff out there……

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I don't use fantasy figures much, I love the looks of these figures! The price of the figures and international postage will probably stop me from buying them. However, they do make me want to dig out some old fantasy figures I have from the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John. The cost of buying figures is becoming prohibitive. For me it's a luxury item, especially as in the EU we now have to pay tax on top of purchases from the UK (here at 23% I think).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love figures that only require a couple of colors to get on the field. Great figures. I love your basing, btw! I’ve yet to get my bases even painted, let alone flocked like so many others…it’s been a slow few months here…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I went through a phase of putting sand and static grass on bases but have returned to plain green

      Delete
  6. WHat litte fantasy figures I have all all in the era of late 70s/80s and are very reminiscent of your wights. Mine iirc are mostly, if not all Minifigs ! - I love the two colour paintjob too !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Joe! I really like these early fantasy figures for their simplicity and charm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just been looking at the Caliver Books/Minifigs website. Absolutely LOADS of the old 25mm Minifigs fantasy figures on there. All very quaint. I’d quite forgotted how much they did ‘back in the day’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Minifigs output was amazing and some really nice figures were produced

      Delete